Math teacher since 2012

My Week: Five for Friday Linky Party (a day late)


Five for Friday is a weekly teacher linky party with Doodle Bugs Teaching where you post five random things from today or this past week!  Such a great idea!



This was the last week of our second trimester!  It was exciting to think that there is only one more trimester left this year, but it also made me think about how much we need to accomplish this last trimester.  My week started with exams for my regular 7th grade classes, where  I have been using GradeCam for all of my exams this year, and I love the item analysis so that I can quickly compare student answers and see percentages by question or standard.






For my Title I math classes, we were able to spend lots of time playing review games to prepare for their exams!  The class favorite is ZONK.  In ZONK, students choose a number, but they don't know if there will be a question with points behind the number or if there will be a ZONK, which means that they lose their turn.  The students get pretty excited and nervous every time they have to choose the next number, and we always end up having a great time!  Click on the image to find one of my Zonk games that reviews Equations and Inequalities.  




For Pi Day, our whole math department decided to do a reading activity in celebration of Reading Month!  We found a great youtube video with a reading of "Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi," by Cindy Neuschwander.  During the video, she stops to explain the vocabulary words, and give the students a chance to solve circumference practice problems.  You can find the Youtube video by clicking on the image below.  After the video, we completed a Pi Day Activity you can find HERE on TeachersPayTeachers.  The students were put into groups and given three different kinds of cookies.  The students measured the cookies as accurately as possible to try to find pi!  



Unfortunately, I have been coming down with a cold that has just been getting worse and worse all week!  Finally, I had to take the day off on Friday to get some rest and make sure that I am not spreading any germs to all of my students.  Fortunately, the last day this week the students just had to take their exams, so it was an easy prep day!  I even left a fun Circle Art Activity (also from TeachersPayTeachers) for the students to work on if they had extra time.  The students got to use a compass to create works of art using only circles, and I can't wait to get back to my classroom on Monday and see their creations!  





Today is finally Pi Day, and my husband has been super excited to stop by Blaze Pizza (one of our favorites) for their special Pi Day deal of Pizzas for only $3.14!  So, we decided to venture out into the warm weather (over 40 degrees) and wait in line for some great pizza from Blaze to celebrate Pi Day.  Follow me on Instagram to see a picture of my favorite pizza from Blaze.  It was delicious!  I hope you found a special way to celebrate Pi Day today as well.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!





0 comments:

Post a Comment